In October 2020 Katikati Taiao will be hosting an Organic Waste Forum to share our vision of creating a pilot organic waste project to add value to food waste in our community. This forum will discuss the benefits to industry and to the whole community by using a “Circular Economy” model. Waste could be from the following places:
- Kiwifruit industry
- Avocado industry
- Homes and gardens
- Business, shops and restaurants
- Recycling Centre
The perceived benefits of the organic waste project are:
- reduced carbon emissions as organic waste is not transported to far away destinations, (only to be brought back as compost)
- increased employment opportunities for locals: collection, processing, administration, revenue handling, health and safety etc
- increased training opportunities for locals: forklift driver, organic waste processing, marketing, health and safety, first aid etc
- more money retained in our community:
- more money to go round our community
- leading into the future by example
- adding dollar value to organic waste
- a valuable resource to be used in local planting projects
- creating a model that will be replicable in other communities
- creating a model that is inclusive and takes into account social, cultural and environmental aspects as well as economic.
It is hoped that this project will lead to a thriving social enterprise that has huge benefits in our community.
Want to be involved?